I call this the "1st 13" based on my master-Teacher's methodology for teaching basic drawing skills. In homage to Keith Opstad (the most amazing Master-Teacher I could have hoped for), I created a Prezi called, "Opstadology" which better outlines my take on his progression of drawings from (literally) stick-figure-esque drawings to complete and very detailed drawing, using cartooning as a basis, in order to keep students engaged.
As Mr. Opstad's lessons are geared to high school students, I've taken some drawings out, added a few others, simplifying them for Middle-School students. Their list is:
01. Linear Studies
02. Upside down Drawing
03. Page of Perfect Shapes
04. Page of Perfect Cones
05. Page of Perfect Cyllinders
06. Page of Perfect Spheres
07. Page of Perfect Cubes (extra credit, for those students with advanced skills).
08. Animated Character (male)
09. Animated Character (female)
10. Self as Animated Character (Alter ego)
11. Self as Animated Character
(as a superhero)
12. Cartoon of the mascot, studying the field you want to pursue in college.
13. Cartoon of the mascot, playing a sport